A Basic Guide on How To Keep Your Basement Dry from Sundahl Waterproofing Larchmont, NY
Water damage is a serious issue, especially in basements. The most common cause of moisture in your basement is poor drainage and water coming into your home through the foundation walls. If you are experiencing this problem, it is important to take action immediately by contacting a basement waterproofing expert like Sundahl Waterproofing.
How To Keep Your Basement Dry
- Use a French drain system to prevent water from entering your basement.
- Use a sump pump to pump out water from the basement, and then use an interior vapor barrier to prevent moisture from entering your basement.
- Install an exterior dehumidifier in order to remove moisture from the air inside your house or apartment building.
Benefits of a Dry Basement
A dry basement is a huge benefit for the home and its occupants.
- The homeowner will be able to use their basement more often, saving on heating costs and decreasing wear on other parts of their house.
- The family will enjoy a safer environment in which to play or relax, with no risk of flooding or mold growth.
- It also means that you’ll be able to store items like antiques, furniture pieces, and other valuables safely away from water damage so that they don’t get damaged by moisture while they’re not being used!
Common Causes of Moisture In a Basement
If you have a basement, you may be wondering why it’s so damp. Here are some common causes of moisture in your basement:
- Leaky or cracked foundation. Cracks in the foundation can allow moisture to seep into your home and cause mold problems.
- Leaky plumbing fixtures inside or outside of basements. With no other ways for excess water to escape except through cracks in walls, around doors and windows, this water could end up in the basement.
Interior Sealing and the French Drain System
Interior sealing is a great way to protect your basement from moisture and other issues. It can also be used as a preventative measure against mold, mildew, and rot. The interior sealer will help keep the humidity low in your home by filling in any air gaps that may be present on floors or walls. This prevents moisture from entering into cracks or spaces where it can cause damage over time.
The French drain system is another method of preventing moisture buildup in the basement (and other areas) during inclement weather conditions such as heavy rains or snowfall.
Now that you know the basics of basement waterproofing, it’s time to get started. If your basement is already damp, then you may want to consider hiring a professional like Sundahl Waterproofing for waterproofing rather than trying to make repairs yourself.
Get in touch with us today for more information!
Contact the Professionals at Sundahl Waterproofing Today! (914) 639-6344